Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Variety Pack Kind of Day: Spring Festival, Renaissance Learning, and Butterfly Fractions

We were very pleased to host the CEO of Renaissance Learning, Glenn James, and his staff at our school's annual Spring Festival.


It was nice to have a sit down discussion about Renaissance products with them and how we as teachers use them in our classrooms. We also offered input of additional things we thought would enhance their products. 

Spring Festival

Our students performed traditional dances for the community at the festival. They did such a good job!!!

Butterfly Fractions (Addition and Subtraction)

I am super excited about this! I can't believe I have never seen this method of adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators.  In some cases the students will still have to reduce to lowest terms.  But this will make this objective so much more manageable!!!
Click here to look at the examples on the original site:  Butterfly Fractions

4 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I have about 1/2 of my small fifth grade class that are still struggling with equivalent fractions - I really think that Butterfly Fractions will click for them! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO welcome. I was excited when I stumbled upon it myself. I also let the kids use this to compare fractions. Just draw the wings.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this!!!! Really made my day so much easier!!

    ReplyDelete