Friday, August 10, 2012

Place Value and Math Journals

I started place value with my 5th and 6th graders today.  I like to incoprorate books when at all possible.  I chose two different ones for my classes.  "If You Made A Million" by David M. Schwartz and " Sir Cumference and All The King's Tens" by CindyNeuschwander.  I also started my Math Journals today! YAY!!! Here's what we did.
6th grade:
* Discussed place value and worked a few problems from our textbook.
* Read "If You Made A Million" by David M. Schwartz ... This book is great! We discussed money and the value of each coin, banking, interest, loans, and careers.
*Took notes and cut, pasted, taped information in the journals. Also created foldables.
* I love the Journal page at the end of each section. They work problems so I can see mastery and reflect on different parts of the lesson incorporating writing into the lesson.




















5th grade:
* Discussed place value and worked a few problems from our textbook.
* Read "Sir Cumference and All The King's Tens" by Cindy Neuschwander ... This book is also great! We discussed base ten blocks and expanded form of large numbers.
* The students got in groups and each group got some of the base ten blocks.  One group had 9 thousands, one group had 9 hundreds, one group had 9 tens, and one group had 9 ones.  In the story, Sir Cumference and Lady Di were trying to get a count of how many people were going to attend the King's party.  They grouped the guests under tents.  My students created tents to house the "guests."
* Modeled expanded form using the base ten blocks and put them in the tents.
*Took notes and cut, pasted, taped information in the journals. Also created foldables.
* I love the Journal page at the end of each section. They work problems so I can see mastery and reflect on different parts of the lesson incorporating writing into the lesson.







4 comments:

  1. Totally love the journals!!! Need to write abt ours too! Also love lit- based teaching! Sir Cumference rocks, doesn't he? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad we can share journal ideas now! I LOVE Sir Cumference!!! I use every book with my classes. The kids really enjoy them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your great math ideas tied in to lit. You make me go back and try immediately. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete