Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Function Tables with Manipulatives

I started function tables with 6th grade today. As an introduction to function tables, I used pattern blocks and let them create a table using input (x) as the number of blocks and the output (y) as the number of sides. They started with one block, then two, then three, etc. After they realized the pattern, I gave them bonus numbers like 82 and 1024 to see if they could figure them out by plugging the input into the rule.
This was a low skill to start with, but this class needed the scaffolding and use of manipulatives.

This group used the triangle or 3 as the rule.


This group used the square or 4 for the rule.


This group used a hexagon or 6 for the rule.


2 comments:

  1. This is great! I'm definitely going to try several of your math teaching strategies in my classroom to support my ELA students but also challenge my high math students. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you like the lesson. Let me know how it works for your students. Hope you have a great year!! :)

    ReplyDelete