Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Subtracting with Magic 9 and Top & Bottom Division

We discussed some teaching strategies on numbers and operations at our grade level meeting today.

In sharing, we discussed the Magic 9 subtraction method. I don't know how it works, but it does every time if you follow the steps correctly. Once the kids get the hang of it, they just go with it.  I hope you can read the steps from the picture I posted. If not, someone please let me know and I will do another post with the steps for you.

 
 
Our consultant shared a new division technique with us that I call the Top & Bottom Method. Have the students list the numbers 0-9 and draw a line under it. Then they list the multiples of the divisor. They can use skip counting or repeated addition if they have trouble listing multiples from memory (or if it is a large divisor).
This lesson also incorporates function tables, estimation, factors, multiples, AND division!!

No comments:

Post a Comment