Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Carpet Coordinate Plane

I made a coordinate plane grid on my carpet in my classroom last week. The students are studying ordered pairs, coordinate planes, transformations, and dilations.  We did several student involved activities from walking out the ordered pair to constructing a rectangle ABCD and A'B'C'D' with the students to show translating with polygons. They had so much fun!
Rectangle ABCD took it's place on the Coordinate Plane

Rectangle A'B'C'D' joined Rectangle ABCD


2 comments:

  1. I love ideas that get kids up and out of their seats! I'm going to send a link to your blog to our math department. Thanks for sharing your creative ideas!
    -Kate
    http://katesclassroomcafe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate! One of the consultants that comes to my room to visit for math gave me the idea. The kids had so much fun! I am also going to take the time to review perimeter and area while the coordinate plane is on the floor. There are so many objectives that can be covered!

      Delete