Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine's Day Mean, Median, Mode, and Range Candy Activity

Thank you Laura Candler for your  Valentine Hearts Data Analysis I found on Teachers Pay Teachers! It's FREE, teachers!!!! I spend $3 on boxes of conversation hearts for my 5th grade today. $3 WELL worth it!!! I covered so many objectives in this lesson...measurement (weight), mean, median, mode, range, addition, subtraction, charts, graphing, etc. Here's what I did:









 

  • Gave the students their Conversation Heart MMMR sheet I made for them to collect data on.
  • Gave them Laura Candler's Valentine Heart Data Analysis sheet (link above).
  • My fabulous math tutor took 4 students at at time in a group to predict and weigh their box in grams.
  • Students recorded individual data and class data for each color candy.
  • Students found MMMR for individual data and class data.
  • Made a chart using data and going to construct a bar graph of each color tomorrow. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment