Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sunshine and Circles

Today it was beautiful weather and I oops! my 6th graders needed some sunshine. I found my Hula hoop type circles and we went outside to measure the diameter and circumference of each. I made a boys group and a girls group. I didn't give them any instructions except they needed a person to record the information, a hula hoop, two tape measures, and the answers to the circumference, diameter, radius, and area of the circle. 
After that, the girls made a human circle, as did the fellas. They measured the human circles and found the area, circumference, diameter, and radius of their friend's circles.They had a great time! 
I handed out playing cards and let them put themselves in order from least to greatest. Anything to give me the kids a break.

This was an educational, but much needed break from test prep!! They have been working sooooo hard!!

Girls measuring the radius of the hoop.

I didn't tell the kids how to find the circumference. My girls group used the formula and figured it out. The boys acutally measured as they rolled the hoop until it made a complete circle. Pretty interesting they did different things, but got the same answer!



The kids got to play a quick game when they finished their assignment!

6 comments:

  1. I'm thinking I-I mean my students- might need an outdoor lesson sometime next week..... :)

    Shannon
    I Run Read Teach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, I hope you, I mean your students, enjoy the outdoor lesson this week! :)

      Delete
  2. I love finding new upper grade blogs to follow! I'm Brandee and I just connected to follow you. :)
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandee, so nice to have a new follower! I hope you find some lessons that you will use in your classroom. I will be checking out your page as well! Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Great idea - I would never have thought of using a hoola hoop! I just found your blog and am a new follower!!
    Jenn
    DoodlingAroundin6thGrade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great time! I hope your students enjoy the lesson! Heading to your blog now!
      Meredith

      Delete