Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Changes

It's been a while!!! Things have changed very much for me since my last post. 

1.  I moved to a new district. 
2.  My son now goes to the same school I do. This has been a big difference because not only is he now a "teacher's kid" but he's right down the hall from me. He has made a big transition from a private school curriculum to public school Common Core. Even learning how to get your lunch tray was a change for him. He went from being able to order chicken nuggets every day to getting what is being served in the cafeteria. 
3.  I teach only one grade and one subject... 5th grade math. Makes planning so much easier!
4.  Now instead of learning 24 names, I have learned 91. 
5.  I went from having a 5 minute commute to a 30 minute commute. I love the time I get to spend with my son on the way to and from school. Most mornings he takes a cat nap though. :)
6.  I miss my friends from my previous school and district terribly, but I already love the new school and district I'm at. 
7.  I'm teaching with a friend that I taught with 10 years ago. We were both pregnant at the same time when we taught together ten years ago, and now our boys are in the same class. This was a tremendous help in our transition!
8. I definitely appreciate all the junior high and high school teachers out there because I only have 4 class periods. By the time the last class comes to me, I think... Do I really have to teach this lesson again? Of either, Now I know how to teach this lesson more effectively. 
9.  I am a little lost without all the technology I used to have. Last year I had 1:1 iPads in my class, a SMART board, a NEO cart, 4 computers, and Nooks. Now I have a Promethean board, 4 computers, and the NEO cart I borrowed from the library. 

But all in all I can say change is a good thing. Sometimes I get too comfortable and need a change in some way to challenge me. I absolutely love the 5th grade age though. I believe it is my niche. 

I guess a name change for my blog is in order since I guess I will only be rambling about 5th grade. :) Suggestions?

Have a fabulous week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment