Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Parking lot coordinate grid

I found a new take on an old favorite lesson of mine. In years past, I taped off my floor using painter's tape and had my students walk off ordered pairs. This year I found a blog about a teacher that used toy cars with the coordinate grid. (http://forsuchatimeasthis.blogspot.com/2013/02/giant-floor-graph-city.html?m=1) Taking that lesson along with the experience of watching my police officer husband recreate accidents using the computer for accident reports I created a lesson that my students loved today. I made four stacks of color coded ordered pairs and had a pile of hot wheels my son let me borrow. I had students in centers working on the skills from our chapter and this was my teacher center. I reviewed the coordinate plane on my Promethean board whole group before we broke off into centers. Then I had the students in my group choose four cars and a stack of cards and sit by the coordinate plane I taped on our floor. Taking turns, they brought their car and a card to the origin. From there, we discussed where they needed to move their car to match the card. I purposely created several of the same ordered pairs so the students would have a point of impact or intersection. It worked great! The students would redirect their teammates if they saw they weren't traveling in the right direction anticipating when the next "intersection " or "accident " would occur. This is a great hands-on activity for the students to be engaged in. It also fostered teamwork on my groups. Even though at the end of the day sometimes I'm frazzled and preparing for centers takes a lot of planning, the students really learned from the activities we did today. That's what counts!
(This picture was from a practice run at home... I was too busy working with the kids to get better pictures today)

1 comment:

  1. Great idea!!! I love the idea of using the cars....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete